Careers at Mason Steel
Join the Mason Steel Team
Looking to join a family oriented company where people are the key to success? We’re looking for smart, confident, creative people who are passionate about making a difference for our customers.
If you are highly talented and want to join a company where your contributions count, where your ideas and suggestions are appreciated, where you can add value every day, where you can further your personal and professional development, Mason Steel is the place for you!
We are looking for a long term commitment from our employees with the opportunity for advancement. New opportunities are always on the horizon and we are constantly recruiting for exceptional capability to build our talent pipeline.
Benefits of Working at Mason Steel
Mason Steel offers a very competitive benefits package that is designed to attract and retain highly motivated people on a journey of excellence. Our benefits package includes healthcare (medical, dental, and Rx), 401K, paid vacation and holidays.
Mason Structural Steel, LLC
Mason Structural Steel, LLC (Mason, Mason Steel or the Company) is a 60 year old privately held fabricator of structural steel and distributor of building products located in Northfield, Ohio. The Company is a very successful and innovative family owned business with a proven track record of profitable growth and in developing an excellent workplace and culture for its Associates. The Company has a significant new opportunity to develop and strengthen its Management Team through the addition of a successful Controller.
The position is located at the Company’s corporate headquarters in Walton Hills, Ohio.
The Controller will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) with a dotted line relationship to the Company’s President. The successful candidate will work closely with the CFO and other senior executives and managers to ensure the proper accounting and financial infrastructure is in place to support the Company and its objectives, mission and values. The Controller will be considered part of the Leadership Team which includes key members of management of the Company.
Reporting to the Controller are the Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable function.
The Successful Candidate
It will be important that the right candidate for this critical position, in addition to excellent technical skills and an extremely strong work ethic, values the culture, Team, mission and values of Mason Structural Steel and its Associates. The right candidate will need to be a good and genuine person with high integrity who will be someone that respects the CFO and the Leadership and Management Team, understands the responsibilities to the 58 families of Mason Steel, respects what has been accomplished at Mason and can learn and add their own value and knowledge to document, improve and automate processes and assist the business in its growth plan and in achieving profitability goals and value creation efforts.
The successful candidate will also be hands on, detail oriented and will assist the CFO by assuming responsibilities and successfully executing the routine day to day, week to week and month to month functions, overseeing the development of the financial and accounting function and insuring the successful financial performance of the Company.
Education and Experience
A four-year bachelor’s degree in accounting / finance and CPA certification is required. A minimum of five years successful and progressive experience in industry is expected. Manufacturing and or construction related industry experience is a plus but not required.
Personal and Professional Characteristics
The successful Candidate will be an experienced results oriented financial professional with both an understanding of accounting and finance but also possess good business acumen and the ability to develop effective processes to support of the Company and its operations.
– A hands-on detail oriented professional with the willingness to do what it takes to accomplish goals and tasks.
– Attention to detail and a firm understanding of the importance of financial and accounting accuracy.
– Demonstrated leadership ability and excellent interpersonal skills.
– Hands on roll up your sleeves yet empowering leader who has the highest standards and commitment.
– Unquestioned personal integrity and inspire confidence, respect, and trust.
– Humility. Confident but not arrogant.
– Be open to coaching and critical developmental feedback.
The Controller will have hands on responsibility and oversight for all accounting and financial operations of the Company including internal and external financial reporting activities. This includes accountability to insure the production of accurate, consistent and timely and understandable (ACTU) financial information and periodic financial reports and supporting analytical data and information, budget analysis and financial review for the Management Team including weekly, monthly and year-end reports, year-end closing, and external auditor coordination, maintenance of thorough and appropriate accounting records, development and implementation of comprehensive internal control environment, development of budgets and operational controls and insure financial statements and related reporting are in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
The Controller will work closely with the Executive and Leadership Team, Managers and their staff as internal customers of the Finance Team, to assist in providing useful, understandable and relevant financial information to support the profitable operations, targeted levels of financial performance and growth of the Company.
In addition, the Controller will be very hands on and detail oriented to work with the CFO to analyze and develop efficient financial and accounting processes and operations to support the efficiency of the accounting function of the organization.
Additional responsibilities for the position include but are not limited to:
- Oversight and documentation of processes that support day-to-day operations of all financial and accounting areas.
- Coordinate and insure daily / weekly / monthly shipping / billing integrity, accuracy and completeness.
- Coordinate payroll and related functions including ADP interface.
- Coordination of accounts receivable and accounts payable systems and activities.
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the Executive and Leadership Team so that they can utilize the information to effectively run the business. This may include development of daily or weekly flash reports and financial and operational dashboards.
- Establish and maintain sound financial policies, procedures, systems, and internal controls for the business. This includes but is not limited to general accounting, capital expenditures, billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, bank reconciliations, payroll, treasury and cash management, budgeting and forecasting, risk management, and inventory management.
- Work cooperatively with the Leadership Team on the strategies and processes associated with achieving Company goals, objectives, and targeted levels of financial performance and value creation initiatives.
- Monitor and control liquidity position, cash planning and forecasting, borrowing bases and banking interfaces.
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants.
- Work and interface with the Company’s independent accounting firm on all monthly, quarterly and year end financial and tax reporting and compliance filings. This includes all tax related issues, tax filings, planning, funding, distribution estimates etc.
- Coordinate all external audits and risk management initiatives.
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Assist with all aspects of inventory reporting and valuation and related reporting and controls.
- Assistance with commission calculation and automation.
- All other responsibilities as determined.